It’s no surprise that as millions take to the highway for Thanksgiving, travel risks increase over this holiday period. As more vehicles are on the roads, weather conditions may be dangerous and drivers can be distracted by the holiday season, it is important to plan ahead and expect delays. Avoid distractions. Be safe!
More than 48 million people are expected to travel over the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, and the American Red Cross is urging travelers to stay safe by offering tips to travelers.
Drivers can follow these Red Cross tips to help make their trip a safe one:
* Make sure your car is in good condition for a road trip.
* Pack an emergency preparedness kit and supplies in the trunk.
* Share travel plans with a family member or friend.
* Check the weather along your route and plan for travel around any storms that may be coming.
* Be well rested and alert.
* Buckle up, slow down, and don’t drive impaired.
* Follow the rules of the road and use caution in work zones.
* Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
* Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
* If you have car trouble, pull of the road as far as possible.
If road conditions are dangerous:
* Pull over and stay with your vehicle. Do not try to walk to safety.
* Tie a brightly colored cloth (preferably red) to the antenna for rescuers to see.
* Start the car and use the heater for about 10 minutes every hour. Keep the exhaust pipe clear so fumes won’t back up in the car.
* Leave the overhead light on when the engine is running to help rescuers see the vehicle.
* Keep one window slightly open – away from the blowing wind – to let in air.
* Keep the car’s gas tank full for emergency use and to keep the fuel line from freezing.
Plan ahead for adverse weather too. People can download the Red Cross Emergency App for instant access to winter storm tips and weather alerts for their area and where loved-ones live. Expert medical guidance and a hospital locator are included in the First Aid App in case travelers encounter any mishaps. Both apps are available to download for free in app stores or at redcross.org/apps.
The Red Cross hopes everyone will have a safe and fun Thanksgiving holiday. Stay calm and travel (or turkey!) on.